Solar is the brand name for a suite of technologies and services supporting the use of technology to enhance the delivery of assessment within SQA's Qualifications.
SecureAssess uses web services and Adobe Flex technology to offer a full set of open APIs for the easy integration and extension of the system. SecureAssess also provides a web service framework to allow for further enhancements of reports and exports (such as candidate progress, results, usage etc.)
Key features include:
Only requires a browser and internet access to manage assessment delivery and access an assessment.
- Availability of instant feedback to learners on result and review of completed assessments
- A range of secure delivery options, from completely web based to an offline standalone mode.
- Supports a variety of question types, from simple multiple choice to interactive virtual environments.
- Management of cohort groups within and across centres.
- Includes a “Human Marker” interface for manual marking of free-text questions.
- Support for accessibility built into the learner's assessment with the candidate having control over its use.
- Comprehensive reporting and analysis.
"Here at Clydebank College we have implemented the solar assessments in the HN Computing program, the students enjoy using their PC to sit the tests and like the immediate feedback they receive from the test engine. The college also benefits from obtaining a set of pre-verified SQA-constructed assessment instruments thus allowing staff to devote more time to improving the learning process for students&rdquo."
The assessments available within SOLAR are generated dynamically from an itembank of questions The summative assessments have been created and packaged by SQA and quality assured by External Verifiers. The same bank of questions also provides the content for the delivery of formative assessments available through OpenAssess. If you are interested in the SOLAR delivering new assessments based on its Itembank of Quality questions then please email SOLAR Helpdesk with your ideas.